Wednesday, June 11, 2008

iLove iPod for teaching music theory


This is something I have been thinking about for awhile. I don't know if other teachers feel the same way, but the iPod has transformed my use of audio examples in orchestra and music theory. No longer do I have to go searching through my CD collection to find the Beethoven symphony or Coltrane tune that I want to play for class. No longer do I have to put off listening to an excerpt of a piece that comes up in class because I do not happen to have it with me that day. Now, thanks to my iPod and a stereo, I have my entire music library at my fingertips to share with my class as needed. This is incredibly convenient, simple, and expedient. I also love that my students can bring in their own mp3 players and share their music with the class. It really has transformed music listening in class by making it more accessible. Now, iLove the whole process!

3 comments:

Earl said...

Thanks for sharing! The use of technology, interactive gadgets and equipment in music teaching can really be so useful and effective. My students do love and appreciate my using new technology in any of my teaching strategies. One time, I also used iPod in one of my classroom activities; it's like I had a particular music library at my fingertips. I agree with you when you say that using Ipods in our teaching can be incredibly convenient and simple - making listening to a wide array of music a lot of fun and ease. For more reliable and innovative music and piano teaching tips and resources, check some reliable and experienced music teachers software and websites today. Good luck!

Unknown said...

What a novel and creative way to teach music theory.

edtromba said...

Hello,

I'm a musician, private teacher and software developer and appreciate the music education community.

I want to let you know about some iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad apps for trumpet/french horn/trombone players. I believe these apps can help with finger and slide positions as well as helping the student learn scales and chords. They are only meant to supplement practice and are NOT a SUBSTITUTE for actual practice. I envision it helping the brass playing student when the instrument is not available or when waiting in line for the bus, etc. It's actually fun as the student is scored for accuracy and speed and can share his results with others.

The apps and video tutorials are available on the following sites:

http://www.contactplus.com/trumpetpro
http://www.contactplus.com/trombonepro
http://www.contactplus.com/frenchhornpro

Regards,

Ed