Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Plan Ahead! That is my new mantra!


Well, I am so excited by what I have been learning about Flash, Dreamweaver, ActionScript, etc. this semester! But, one thing that really sticks out to me is that I have to plan ahead!!! After spending hours of time working with tables revising and revamping on the go, I began to realize that it might be better to plan the layout first. It seems like that would be obvious - but it took me awhile. Once I decided to plan the layout of a page ahead of time and designate which cells would merge and which would expand, it became easier to negotiate the size and placement of images. I found that life was much easier. Being a web designer has a lot to do with visualization. Perhaps it is like being an "architect" of cyberspace. It's all in the planning!


3 comments:

musicmaker said...

I totally agree with you about the "planning ahead" part. Nobody has mastered the fine art of procrastination quite like me! :)

That being said, one of the difficulties I've encountered this semester in trying to work with tables on Dreamweaver is that it's hard to visualize what your finished table will look like before you actually enter in things like photos and flash content. I've been forced to resort to a "trial and error" approach to maintaining a consistent, clean design to my table. It's hard to picture how much cells will "expand" before they are actually published on line. Sometimes the cell sizes change once they are published, even though they appear to be just fine in Dreamweaver preview!

In any case, I think you've done a great job with "planning" the appearance of your website...it's a very consistent, clean design throughout. Kudos!

Celia Rose said...

Soooo true! It definitely helps me to map out the design first and then start to work at development of a page. It saves a ton of time in the long run and makes for a solid and consistent looking site.

Sunmin Kim said...

I totally agree with you! I got so embarrased to spend so much time just fixing things and no finish procuct came out when the due date is so close. I really think your view to see it like an 'archite'is so right.